One of the Nigerian recipes you can enjoy is the okra soup. You can nearly bite off your finger if you are not careful while eating the soup. Okra soup is tasty I must confess.
However, if you do not know how to eat with care the okra soup will teach you but the hard way.
The lines of soup drawn from the plate along your dress to your mouth must surely teach you courtesy. Winks.
Are you wondering or worried why this is so? Maybe I should tell you that Okra Soup is among the soups Nigerians call the “Draw Soup.” In this post, I will joyfully take you through what okra soup is and how to prepare the Nigerian okra soup. We shall delve a bit into the health benefits of okra soup.
Do you want to have the great feel from this tasty soup? Let’s make it snappy then.
WHAT IS OKRA SOUP?
First of all, okra is a flowering plant which belongs to the mallow family of plants. The okra plant is particularly valued because of its edible green seed pods. This edible seed pods are most common in West Africa, Ethiopia and South Asia.
Okra is sometimes classified as a fruit vegetable. Is it because it is green? That is a question you should answer.
Therefore, okra soup is a soup made from the green seed pods of okra plant. Okra soup is commonly referred to as “Draw soup” (Ogbono soup is also called Draw Soup).
A draw soup is the name given to the thick and viscous broth, which draws out of the plate when it is eaten or taken from the pot.
Remember I said earlier that you must be careful while eating okra soup? Now I believe you know it is because of the drawing characteristics of the soup.
HOW TO MAKE NIGERIAN OKRA SOUP
Sure, all you need to make a tasty okra soup is the okra fruit and other ingredients you can get from the market.
Ingredients For Making Okra Soup
- 250g of Okra fingers.
- Palm Oil (just enough to do)
- Well cut Beef
- Iced Fish (Mackerel or Titus)
- Dry Fish
- Stock Fish
- Pepper and Salt (to taste)
- Onions (optional)
- Nigerian Pumpkin Leaves or Spinach
- Stock Cubes (3 cubes recommended)
Before You Start Cooking Okra Soup
- You must take care of these things before you start cooking your okra soup:
- Cut the okra fruits into tiny pieces. A simple principle which applies at this point is that the tinier you cut the okra fingers, the more the soup will draw (a simple chemistry will tell you that more surface area has been exposed).
- Boil the stock fish for at least 20 minutes. When done, add the dry fish and allow to soak. You will certainly not enjoy the soup if the stock fish isn’t soft.
- Wash the beef and cook with some stock cubes and sliced onions until it’s done. Add the cut iced fish and cook alongside the soaked stock fish ad dry fish.
[su_note note_color=”#f72621″]NB: Please drain off the water from the soaked stock fish and dry fish before you add it to the cooking beef and iced fish.[/su_note]
- Wash the vegetable and shred it into tiny pieces.
- Grind your crayfish and the dry pepper. A fresh pepper can also give you a great taste.
Guidline For Cooking Nigerian Okra Soup
When you’ve prepared all you will need to cook the soup, the ground is set for the real actions. Here are the guidelines you should follow to reach that quality of okra soup your taste buds and belly desires.
- Pour the red palm oil in your cooking pot and heat, enough to get the oil slightly hot.
- Now, add the diced okra and start frying to initiate the drawing process. Continue until the okra continues to draw. This process should take a maximum of 5 minutes, to avoid over-cooking the okra.
- Add the vegetable and stir well. Cover afterwards for a while.
- Add the meat and fish, crayfish, pepper and salt to taste.
- Stir well to ensure proper mixing of the compositions.
- Cover the cooking pot and leave to simmer for a minute or two.
Great! You tasty Nigerian Okra soup is ready to be served. You can enjoy this with eba (garri) or fufu. I guess you know what I mean.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF OKRA SOUP
How sure are you that you are not eating trash when you’re eating the okra soup? Can we take a little time and look into the health benefits of the Nigerian okra soup?
Nutritional Value of Okra Soup (100g).
- Energy 138 kJ (33 kcal)
- Carbohydrates 7.46 g
- Sugars 1.48 g
- Dietary fibre 3.3 g
- Fat 0.19 g
- Protein 1.9 g
- Vitamin A equiv. 36 μg
- Thiamine (B1) 0.2 mg
- Riboflavin (B2) 0.06 mg
- Niacin (B3) 1 mg
- Folate (B9) 60 μg
- Vitamin C 23 mg
- Vitamin E 0.27 mg
- Vitamin K 31.3 μg
- Calcium 82 mg
- Iron 0.62 mg
- Magnesium 57 mg
- Phosphorus 61 mg
- Potassium 299 mg
- Zinc 0.58 mg
- Water 89.6 g
The above stated nutritional value of okra soup sourced from Wikipedia perfectly exposes the nutritional value of okra soup. These minerals and vitamins are essential for your all round well-being.
Nonetheless, there are other health benefits of Okra Soup:
- Okra soup contain antioxidants which helps to keep you healthy
- Okra helps to lower blood sugar.
- The folate contained in okra soup is very essential for pregnant women.
- It has anticancer properties.
- Other ingredients used for cooking okra soup are powerhouse of other important nutrients.
Having come this far, I must commend you: Thank you. Meanwhile, I would reiterate that okra soup is an enjoyable one and you can go ahead and cook it following the guidelines stated above.
Did I miss anything? Suggest a different recipe if you have and do let me know what you think about this post.
We can work together to get your contents sale for you. Explore my works